Friday, February 20, 2009

What a SCARY week..........

What an awful week we had. YIKES!!!!! It all started with Austin's cold Valentine's weekend; the congestion and nasty cough, plus the grumpiness that goes along with not feeling good. Cody was happy and showed no signs of anything all weekend. Well, Monday morning he woke up with a little snotty nose, but still seemed happy otherwise. He didn't want to nap that day, but he was still up for playing. That night we headed out to dinner with friends and then put the kids to bed as usual that night. Well, on the monitor I could hear Cody tossing and turning and talking away to himself in between short stretches of sleep, but he wasn't fussy. Well, around 11pm Todd was fast asleep on the couch and I was in bed on the computer when all of a sudden I heard this awful gasp from Cody's monitor and then the barky cough to follow. I flew into his bedroom and found him BURNING UP and having difficulty breathing and barking like a seal. I yell for Todd and immediately get Cody in the bathroom with the hot shower on. He sounded horrible and was getting blue around his mouth. He about gave me a heart attack!!!! After about 20 minutes his breathing got a little better and once he calmed down his coloring got better too. That was only the start of our night. I sent Todd to bed and I took up camp on our couch holding Cody upright and watching him breathe. We continued the hanging out in the bathroom with the hot steam and running outside into the cool air throughout the night. We did head to the Urgent Care the next day and got Cody started on steroids. He even scared the Dr.'s there with his color change and horrible breathing and they kept us in the back for awhile to watch him. Thank goodness we were able to get 2 doses of steroids in him before Tuesday night; much better night. He was still a little barky and VERY congested, but he was breathing much easier. Each day has gotten a little better; the cough is much looser and his nose isn't as congested. Today, he finally took a very peaceful nap, along with Austin, and was much happier this evening. I think both kids are finally on the road to recovery. What a stressful and tiring week. We could all use a very good nights sleep. Good Night!!!!!

Here is a few pictures of our little man working on crawling; he finally has figured out how to get on his knees and rock back and forth. Very soon those baby gates will be going up. He also likes to stand and play with his toys. These pics were after his wonderful nap today. I am so glad he is smiling again. (Austin was still sleeping when I was taking these pics)....





3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! How scary! Glad that he is finally feeling better...hope you get some rest tonight!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is SO scary! Glad he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCARY! Good thing you are a nurse, I wouldn't of even known what to do!

    ReplyDelete